Hesed

Thursday, January 11, 2007

One Blind Mouse

The other night, my wife did a supernatural thing. She woke me up at three in the morning. If you know how I sleep, you will know that I am not exaggerating when I say it was supernatural. She did not wake me up because someone was breaking in. She did not wake me up because there was a loud storm crashing down on the house. No, she woke me up because of a chatty mouse.

Now I don't mind that mice are living in my house. I don't really know what I want more...a cat or mice. I only wish that they would shut up! I was a good husband though. I got up and looked around and said "I don't see him." The fact that my eyes were still sleeping is irrelevant. The next day we laid out a trap -- the sticky kind so that we actually get to watch them scream as we throw them in the garbage. Hey, its a lot better than if our dog gets to them first. You don't want to know.

We got up in the middle of the next night and saw that the sticky trap was gone. So, not only do we have a chatty mouse but now he is clunking into everything because he can't see where he is going.

That first night, since I couldn't go back to sleep, I went into the living room and wondered how my wife got her satellite hearing. Then God reminded me that His voice is to be heard exactly like that. Jesus once said that His sheep know His voice. The interesting thing about what He said in John 10, is that before and after that moment He spoke to the Jews about not believing in Him as the Messiah - The Savior. He said to those around Him that day, who were being hesitant and reserved in believing in Him, "I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father's name, these testify of Me. But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep" (John 10:25-26).

To put it bluntly, I can't hear God's voice in my life until I have given my life to Him. Until I trust Him with everything, I will be deaf to God. This is clear especially in the crisis of my life. I don't hear his voice of comfort and guidance until I recognize and accept the fact that He is in control of the storm of my life. And hearing His voice in the midst of a storm makes all the difference in the world. When I believe Jesus Christ is who He said He is, I get satellite hearing. I can only hear the voices I trust.

By the way, two days later, the dog got to the mouse. Of course, its not hard catching a mouse running with a big piece of cardboard around his neck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home